THE KAMLOOPS CURLING CLUB
The Kamloops Curling Club was organized in 1948 when the Memorial Recreation Commission purchased the land where the arena and curling club are now situated. The MRC (Memorial Recreation Commission) raised enough money to build the Memorial Arena. The Kamloops Curling Club raised funds through debentures to construct the curling building. The MRC installed the brine pipes and hooked them up to the arena compressor. The four sheet curling club at the corner of Seventh and Victoria Street was constructed and officially opened on December 7, 1949. The club was expanded in 1964 with two new sheets of ice completed on the easterly side and the installation of a compressor independent of the Memorial Arena. In 1975 two more sheets of ice were added to the original building on the westerly side. The existing 8 sheet curling rink is home to curlers of all ages and skill levels.
The Kamloops Curling Club is a non profit organization. We do not receive any operational funding from any level of government. Our revenue is derived from our lounge, concession, pro shop and curling fees. There are no shares representing ownership issued to any individuals or organizations. The non profit organization is directed by a membership base who choose to use and participate in the recreation programs and activities organized by the Kamloops Curling Club. The membership base provides a group of volunteers who are selected to serve on a member board of directors. They are given the responsibility of directing the affairs of the club on their behalf.
The land is leased from the City of Kamloops each year. Our building contains 8 sheets of ice, concession and eating area, lounge with a meeting room and pro shop.