Planing to start leagues October 13th, 2020
COVID 19 Return to Curling Plan
The Kamloops Curling Club will be aligning its COVID-19 Return to Curling Plan with updated Provincial Health Organization (PHO) guidelines and recommendations from Curling Canada, viaSport and CurlBC. We are committed to ensuring a positive, low-risk social activity and environment that will enable our community to benefit from the mental and physical virtues that make curling great.
We intend to operate all leagues at normal capacity during the 2020-21 season. The High School Program will not be operating. We hope to have the Junior Curling League starting in January.
This is what is expected of everyone who comes into the building. It takes everyone’s effort to make this plan work. Please remember that things can change at anytime.
- Please follow all of our signage. We are sorry that it may appear that we are sign crazy and are bossing you around, but it is in everybody’s interest.
- If you have been out of the Country, please quarantine 14 days before entering the building and before curling again.
- If you, or any members of your family, have any COVID 19 symptoms, please do not come to the Kamloops Curling Club. Please refer to our illness policy.
- The Kamloops Curling Club requires masks to be worn upon entering the building and downstairs until you go into the ice shed. Masks do not need to be worn while curling or in the lounge.
- Sanitize your hands as soon as you enter the Kamloops Curling Club. There is a station at the top of the stairs as well as others throughout the building.
- At the bottom of the stairs there will be a book so you can Sign In with your name and phone number for contact tracing as well as declaring that you will not knowingly enter the building if you are experiencing any COVID related symptoms.
- Practice excellent hand hygiene by cleaning your hands often. Especially after using facial tissues.
- Avoid touching your face, mouth, nose and eyes.
- Avoid touching common touch items – railings, posts, walls, doors.
- Practice respiratory etiquette (sneezing/coughing into your elbow).
- Maintain a physical distance of two metres in common areas and walkways.
- Follow the arrows and floor markings to ensure you, the other members and staff stay at a safe distance.
ICE SHED & CURLING
- Please come ready to play with only your shoes requiring to be changed. Locker-rooms are not available for changing. We are assessing if you will be able to access to the locker rooms to retrieve your broom and shoes. Until you hear different, please just bring every thing you need to play from home. Please take your belongings onto the ice with you and place behind the sheet. We are not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- You will not be allowed downstairs until 15 minutes before your game.
- Draw times will have 30 minutes between them. We will use the buzzer to keep draws on time. When you hear the buzzer, finish the end you are on and play one more. Please leave the ice shed, change your shoes and go upstairs to socialize.
- Enter and exit only from the doors that are marked with your sheet of play. There will be 2 doors and each door will be for 4 sheets only. Sheets 1-4 use the door by sheet 3 and sheets 5-8 use the door by sheet 7.
- Bring your own full water bottle if required.
- There will be 4 hand sanitizer stations at each end of the ice.
- Additionally, a spray bottle of disinfectant and a roll of paper towel will be behind every sheet. Players select their two rocks and disinfect them prior to the start of every game. Spray the paper towel and wipe the rock handle. The bottles will be attached to the ledge so the rocks will not get sprayed directly. Please don’t spray the rocks or ice surface. No interchanging of rocks during the game. Players should not touch any rocks but their own.
- No hand shaking before or after games.
- Wear a glove to clean the bottom of your rock or use your broom, not your bare hand.
- No sharing of personal equipment. Club measuring tools and other equipment must be disinfected in the same manner as the rocks.
- Designate one of the thirds to do all measuring. Remove gloves, sanitize your hands, conduct measure, return measure device to its spot and then sanitize your hands. Do not touch the device with a gloved hand, as a glove cannot be sanitized.
- When not throwing or sweeping, please stand in the appropriately marked spots on the sheet. There will be a map behind every sheet.
- One sweeper only on all delivered stones. No relaying (second sweeper taking over halfway down the sheet). The person in charge of the house is not allowed to sweep under any circumstance. The skip of the non-delivering must remain in the hack area until all stones come to rest. They are not allowed to sweep the opposition stone behind the tee-line. The skip or vice skip (not both) of the non-delivering team must stand at the hack until the other team is finished playing and has relinquished control of the house. The skip or vice skip (both teams) may not sweep any stones (both colours) set in motion by the delivering team.
- When coming down the ice after a shot please follow the arrows and stay to the west side of the sheet. This will make sure you are not near the curlers beside you. Please be aware of the curlers on the other sheets.
- Thirds will determine the score, and the team that scored the point(s) is responsible for clearing the house of rocks. All other players to be physically distanced.
- The third of the team that scored in the first end is designated to post the scores for both teams for the duration of that game. Sanitize your hands before and after handling the numbers.
- The third of the winning team will report W/L to the league co-ordinator or to the bartender in the case of evening leagues.
LOUNGE & VIEWING AREAS
- The lounge bar will not be open for bar service during the day. There will, however, be a modified concession upstairs. Self serve coffee will be available just like last year. Please use the hand sanitizer before and after you pour coffee. We have 16 tables in the lounge with the maximum 6 people per table as outlined by the Provincial Health Officer. Please seat yourself. Please stay at your table once seated. You are not allowed to go from table to table.
- The lounge will be open for bar and food service before and after the evening games. We will have a host to seat you. You are not allowed to leave your table except to go to the washroom or leave the lounge. A server will come to your table to take your orders. People are not allowed to come up to the bar.
- Some people will arrive just in time and some may come before to sit in the lounge, have a drink or eat. The lounge can hold 130 people. League play has now been classified as an event so only 50 will be allowed upstairs and only 50 people downstairs. CurlBC and ViaSport are working on getting that changed to at least 64 people. The lounge number should also increase under the same rules as other bars and restaurants.
- Downstairs is for changing your shoes and entering and exiting the ice shed. Please remember to wear your mask downstairs. When you are ready to curl you may enter the ice shed. Please review which sheets have had their home end changed to the other end of the ice shed. We are also working on a way to streamline finding the sheet you play on without going to the bulletin board. Draws will be posted on line.
- Children will not be allowed in the lower level before, during or after games. They will be allowed in the lounge but must be and stay seated. They count as part of the six people per table. They need to have an adult with them at all times. We hope that children will stay at home for their own safety.
- Everything will take longer. Please be patience with the staff and your fellow curlers.
- Please report to the Club if you are being tested for Covid-19 and have been at the Club in the previous 14 days.